The Business Development Director (BDD) will report to the Center of Advanced Technology (CAT) Director at the ASRC. They will be responsible for managing industry partner relationships, including seeking and developing relationships and matching research interests of industry and CUNY researchers, and overseeing the organization and infrastructure necessary for continued success and growth of the Center of Advanced Technology.
The BDD is expected to develop a strong understanding of the facilities offered by the CAT, will be responsible for enhancing the user pool, ensure efficient and safe running of facilities, pursue external funding and strategic partnering opportunities, and support enhancement of the core facilities, as required. BDD will liaise with multiple parties to oversee and report on operations of the CAT, manage budget and financial accounts, and ensure timely production and execution of research contracts. In collaboration with Director, Associate Director, and other invested parties, will actively engage in strategic planning to maximize impact of the CAT, develop industry relationships, workforce development, and foster entrepreneurship within CUNY.
To apply, please go to rfcuny.org and click on EMPLOYEES and “Search & Apply for a Job” to submit your resume and cover letter. (Job ID: RC-1907-003179)
Specific duties of the Business Development Director will include:
- Develop a clear understanding of the research mission, needs and accomplishments of the CAT and available facilities;
- Seeks out industry/academic partnerships and funding opportunities to support collaborations. Creates and maintains relationships with potential industry partners, user groups, and other institutional bodies, as needed, including travel to these entities for in person relationship building.
- Reviews contracts and documentation, and liaise RF legal department, Technology Commercialization Office (TCO), Sponsored Program Administrative offices to ensure that appropriate legal documents are processed in a timely manner.
- Actively participates in strategic planning to maximize impact, plan workforce development, and foster entrepreneurship.
- Set up and manage CAT project accounts and budget.
- Liaises with communications, safety, and compliance teams. Oversees day-to-day operations, ensures policy and protocol are effective and compliant with CUNY, external bodies, and any governing bodies.
- Actively seeks new collaborative projects within CUNY and externally
- Manages industry relationships. Ensures tracking of partnerships, follows up with leads, prepares reports on development of relationships.
- assists and/or leads with the preparation of grant applications, presentations and publications, as appropriate.
- Prepares reports and presentations on CAT projects, progress, metrics, publications, and finances, as requested. Prepares reports, presentations, and/or publications as appropriate on CAT activities. Keeps information up to date and accessible. Provides regular reports to Empire State Development's Division of Science, Technology and Innovation (NYSTAR).
- Works with the Communications Team to create promotional media and maintaining the website, highlighting available facilities;
- Works with industry, facility managers, faculty, postdocs, and students to organize workshops, user meetings, and other forums to assist community building;
- Assists with internship placement of students within industry, when appropriate.
- Supervises CAT support staff and students (IP fellows), when appropriate.
- Other related duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will also possess the following knowledge, skills and professional competencies:
- BSc in physical science or engineering discipline.
-Graduate degree in related physical science or engineering discipline, or MBA.
- At least five (5) years of business development experience in a leadership position.
- Familiarity with contract and/or IP law.
- Background in physical science or engineering, technical experience in research preferred, ideally in a user facility.
- Excellent leadership and project management skills with ability to foster teamwork.
- Exceptional managerial, technical, analytical, and evaluative and follow-through skills, preferably in a research arm of a higher education institution or government laboratory, or an industry setting
- Strong communication skills with the ability to write, speak, and present effectively to a wide variety of audiences including academics and industry representatives.
- Ability to forge collaborative relationships with peers and to work effectively and collaboratively with diverse stakeholders at various organizational levels.
- A firm commitment to CUNY's mission of creating access to excellent higher education for a diverse urban population.
- Ability to think boldly and strategically.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines.
- Detail-oriented and highly-organized personality.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience.