Job Title: MEP Center Director
Reports To: President
Job Summary: The MEP Center Director leads CNYTDO’s programs that are supported by funding from Empire State Development’s Division of Science, Technology and Innovation (NYSTAR) under its award from the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) Program to strengthen small and medium-sized manufacturers in the five-county Central New York (CNY) region (Onondaga, Madison, Cayuga, Oswego and Cayuga counties). The MEP Center Director collaborates with community leaders in economic development roles and with other organizations to engage and leverage regional assets in support of CNY regional economic development priorities. The MEP Center Director leads and manages the delivery of appropriate continuous improvement and other initiatives that supports clients ‘commercial and process improvement goals. The MEP Center Director, working together with the staff, is responsible for generating sufficient project and grant revenue to ensure financial sustainability and for impacts to meet the requirements of stakeholders, in particular NYSTAR and NIST MEP programs.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities: (Additional duties may be assigned)
- Manage relationships with NIST/MEP and NYSTAR/MEP as well as federal and state peer organizations.
- Manage the impact records and the NIST survey process with a minimum grade of 80% for all quarterly reports
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information and reports required by the Board.
- Leads the center activities related to the support of the CNY Regional Cluster focus; Data to Decisions (D2D)
- Develops budget for TDO/MEP activities and ensures compliance with budget requirements, both expenses and revenue generation.
- Leads and develops TDO/MEP staff. Manage staff capacity as demand and revenue dictates. Makes compensation & employment decisions.
- Lead & coaches field staff on the role of “Trusted Advisor” to provide the client’s Senior Management with suggested strategic direction to ensure appropriate, and specific to the business, initiatives are delivered to enhance the continuous improvement and innovation of the business processes.
- Responsible for marketing and business development activities.
- Represent the MEP Center at State and National events/activities as required.
- Develop and maintain relationships and partnerships with community stake holders through active engagement and community outreach to foster a positive referral system and financial support for programs.
- Manage partnerships with organizations that complement/supplement the services of internal resources.
- Ensures that updates to the Client Information database for all client “touches” are entered in a timely manner.
- Approves proposals/contracts for delivering services to client companies.
- Perform other tasks and projects as assigned.
- The above listed duties and responsibilities are for reference only. Additional duties and responsibilities may apply.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Engineering, Education or Quality or other related field preferred. MBA desirable. Experience may be substituted for field of study.
- Minimum of 7-10 years’ experience in a manufacturing environment, with some supervisory experience. (Leadership/Management role in manufacturing environment highly desirable.)
- Financial management highly desirable.
- Lean and or Six Sigma Methodology experience. Problem solving experience highly desirable.
- Previous Consulting experience highly desirable.
- Experienced with manufacturing industry equipment and regulations preferred but not required.
- Team facilitation experience.
- Previous knowledge/experience of Economic Development is highly desirable.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong presentation and “Front-of-the-Room” presence.
- Strong and effective strategic management skills are required, including long range planning, organizing, facilitating, communicating, influencing, gathering and using information, and motivating a team to achieve results.
- Ability to use, and to teach others how to use, various analytical tools and techniques.
- Demonstrated mentoring skills.
- Strong organizational skills are required.
- Knowledge of federal and state regulations and safety.
- Skilled in the use of computer for communication, data management and reporting including Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Must be able to stand, walk and hear on a constant basis and talk frequently; Repetitive motion of hands and/or wrists; Must be able to reach with arms and/or hands, crouch, bend or kneel.
- Must be able to lift, move, push, pull, or otherwise exert in the performance of the job over 10 lbs. and up to 25 lbs.Work Environment
- At client’s facilities, there may be sufficient noise to cause employee to shout in order to be heard above the noise level.
- Works inside where there is heat and protection from weather conditions. May be exposed to extreme heat or cold in some circumstances.Disclaimer:
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their supervisor. The company reserves the right to add to or revise an employee's job duties at any time at its sole discretion. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.