FuzeHub Helps ThermoAura Scale Up Their Manufacturing
ThermoAura Inc. in Rensselaer, NY manufactures a high performing nano-enhanced thermo electric material that is 25% more efficient and costs 40% less to manufacture than its competitors.
ThermoAura is commercializing a University technology. The challenge is scaling the operation from the lab to full scale manufacturing by the end of 2013. The urgency is driven by customer demand. The problem for ThermoAura is that the company does not have staff members with the necessary background and experience necessary to develop the manufacturing site. It is important that the company have access to capital, equipment and people to reach this critical milestone. ThermoAura reached out to FuzeHub after attending the Capital Region Solutions Forum in Troy with the following needs:
- Identification of an appropriate facility that can accommodate the transition and support the growth to a full scale 10 ton per year operating site; ThermoAura, Inc. Successful Connection Powered by FuzeHub
- Identification and sourcing of the necessary equipment to transition its lab operation to a full commercial operation;
- Validation of the work flow and process assumptions from the initial input of the raw material to the finished product;
- Development of a new supply chain that could provide larger quantities of materials at lower costs for scaled production;
- Development of a safety plan and procedures manual
A multi-phase plan was developed for ThermoAura. During Phase 1 the consultants analyzed the regulatory environment and included an environmental impact assessment. Phase 2 focused on building out the manufacturing facility. ThermoAura plans to produce 10 tons of material per year within 24 months. Valued at $10-million (USD), this novel nanotech product will require a doubling of the staff from 6 to 12.
With the help of FuzeHub, the following outcomes were met:
Looked at a number of facilities and signed a lease with SUNY Albany’s East Campus.
- Ordered furniture and finalized the office layout.
- The manufacturing space and chemical storage facilities were designed.
- Met with a facilities engineering team to design the power and ventilation systems.
- The equipment has been designed, spec’d and ordered.
- Applied to NY State to be accepted into the Start Up NY program.
“When I started my PhD I never dreamed that I would be in this position. But with the assistance of the consultants from FuzeHub, ThermoAura is poised for greatness.” — Rutvik Mehta, Founder and CEO, Thermo Aura