Every summer, New York State offers a single channel through which to access a wide variety of grant programs available from multiple agencies: the Consolidated Funding Application (CFA). On May 1st, Governor Cuomo launched Round VII of this competition, and the application portal will be open through July 28th at 4:00 p.m.
Grant programs that manufacturers can apply for directly include the following. Read this year’s “CFA Resource Manual” for more information on each.
- Empire State Development Grant Funds (capital grant funding for companies making investments leading to job creation)
- Excelsior Jobs Program (tax credits for firms creating or retaining jobs or making significant investments)
- NYSERDA Energy Efficiency Programs (engineering analysis to help companies make informed energy decisions; energy assessments for small commercial enterprises; technical and financial support for installing energy-efficient electrical equipment in new and renovated industrial buildings; financial support for other energy efficiency improvements in industrial facilities; performance-based assistance to manufacturers implementing energy efficiency and process improvements)
- ReCharge New York (allocations of lower-cost electricity to businesses planning expansions)
- Workforce Development (grants to offset the cost of training new and existing employees)
Manufacturers are advised to seek the support of their Regional Economic Development Council, which plays a role in determining priority projects and evaluating applications. They should also consult with the Empire State Development regional office in their area for guidance on the best program fit and guidelines.