In hopes of promoting both scientific and technical innovation, the US Department of Commerce’s National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) released its 2019 Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Phase I Notice of Funding Opportunity.
This grant opportunity gives businesses funding to participate in federal research and development with the potential for commercialization. In the past, this funding was limited to specific technological solutions. This year, small businesses can apply in these areas:
- Advanced Communications, Networks and Scientific Data Systems
- Advanced Manufacturing and Material Measurements
- Cybersecurity and Privacy
- Fundamental Measurement, Quantum Science and Measurement Dissemination
- Health and Biological Systems Measurements
- Physical Infrastructure and Resilience
- Exploratory Measurement Science
To get more information, including video walkthroughs for would-be applicants, visit NIST’s information center. To submit an application, click here.